I will understand what I read by:
* Predicting what will happen in a story. Then read and confirm that prediction or find our what happened.
* Check for understanding: Does it make sense?
* When it doesn't make sense, back up and reread.
* Ask questions about the story before, during and after reading.
* Summarize the text. Use but, so, then, finally...
* Retell the story in sequence. Tell the characters, settings, problems, events, solutions.
* As you read, make a mental picture about what is happening.
* Recognize cause and effect. This happened because ....
* Recognize literary elements: genre, plot, setting, characters, problems and solutions
* Use you schema to make connections: This reminds me of ...
* Compare and contrast: How are characters, events, etc., the same or different.
* Identify the main idea and supporting details.
* Determine the author's purpose. (inform, persuade, entertain)
* Use text features: titles, headings, captions, content pages, glossaries, tables, maps