Gowan Achievement Project Expands
In an effort to expand the availablilty of this excellent program for students and parents within our Crane District, and the community as a whole, we are going to accept open enrollment at Rancho Viejo and establish a program at Salida del Sol.
For the 2013-2014 school year, these changes will include:
* GAP will be open to ALL 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students within the Crane District and the greater Yuma community through open enrollment.
* Salida del Sol will implement two GAP 3rd grade classes, with a strong emphasis in Math, Reading, and Science
* The selection process for Salida del Sol GAP program will be based on SAT 10 Math and Reading Scores
* The selection process for Rancho Viejo GAP program will be based on AIMS test scores and will require students to exceed in Math, and meet in other areas
* Both Salida del Sol and Rancho Viejo will be implementing "Engineering is Elementary", a supplementary Science program, which will also be used at the Gowan Science Academy
* Open Enrollment begins, March 19, 2013
Please see the brochures for more information.
Gowan Achievement Program
The Gowan Achievement Program (GAP) is designed to offer students who meet or exceed the Arizona state standards more in-depth education, technology use, and a community of involved learners. The program is offered at three schools in the Crane School District. Rancho Viejo School's program provides enrichment for fourth through sixth grade students. Centennial and Crane Middle Schools cater to the seventh and eighth grade students. GAP serves the top students in each grade level based on the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS), student performance, and teacher recommendations. GAP started in August of 2007, with three teachers and ninety students at Rancho Viejo Elementary School. With the help of The Gowan Company, students have been provided technology, learning tools, and educational experiences that surpass the typical school day for a Crane student. GAP students thrive in a supportive learning community where science, math, and technology are emphasized along with language arts and social studies. Our student group has grown to include over 300 middle school students. The GAP students and teachers have participated in several philanthropic ventures including Penny Pitch, Diabetes Walk, Jump Rope for Heart, and Relay for Life. GAP students continue to meet educational challenges that will help them develop into critical thinkers and responsible, productive citizens.
Mission of the Gowan Project:
Empower students, through a rigorous curriculum, to value higher education.
- Multiple assessment measures used in selection
- Must meet or exceed the standard in all three areas of AIMS
- DIBELS – beginning, midpoint, and final scores from previous year (Oral Reading Fluency (ORF) and Retell)
- Comprehension skills must be strong
- Student survey or interview to determine motivation to achieve
- Teacher survey/recommendation to identify student motivation and likeliness of success in the program
- Parent interview to determine commitment to the program
- Probationary period is recommended
- Capable students who may typically be discipline problems in the classroom thrive in the program because they become challenged at the correct level. These students must be given the same consideration as other students for eligibility
- Must be able to work independently
- Rigorous, fast paced
- Cleary defined focus on math and science
- Laptops and software support an independent, self paced curriculum
- Opportunities for independent study geared toward student needs
- Computerized assessment of students provides continual feedback and adjustment to the course of study for individual students
- Organizational skill of students must become well developed
- The ability to focus and take notes is critical to keeping up with the curriculum being taught
- In-depth content knowledge
- Ability to motivate students to work hard
- Flexible approach to instruction and work habits
- Ability to facilitate student inquiry and research
- Positive ambassador of education and the Gowan Project